Hesitation during acceleration is frustrating for the drivers and can also be very dangerous in some instances.
If you are experiencing Honda Civic hesitation during acceleration, you must get your vehicle examined immediately to avoid any complications or accidents.
However, your vehicle seems to be hesitant while speeding up, you need to get it checked as it can be very dangerous in various situations.
As in entering or exiting the highway from an off-ramp, you will need particular acceleration to cope with the traffic.
In such a case, you cannot risk your life and your car due to a hesitant acceleration problem.
Honda Civic Hesitation During Acceleration: Problems & Solutions
The hesitation during acceleration can be due to various reasons that might lead to different problems.
Some of the issues that you might come across due to the hesitant acceleration are discussed below, along with the reasons that might cause them;
01. Displaying of Error code or ‘check engine light warning
Mass airflow sensor is responsible for generating such error codes or warnings. The mass airflow sensor measures the amount of air entering the engine.
This further provides information to the engine’s computer that decides how much fuel is required. Therefore, the appropriate amount of fuel is released from the fuel injectors.
If your vehicle’s mass airflow sensor is going bad, it will make your vehicle stall as soon as it gets started.
Once your car’s mass airflow sensor begins to fail, an error code is generated, or a warning of ‘check engine light is displayed.
As this error code or sign will appear, you will face hesitating acceleration as your vehicle will go up.
02. Hesitation during acceleration due to the poor fuel pump
A fuel pump is required to efficiently pump the necessary amount of fuel to the engine in all modern vehicles. In most cars, this fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank.
If this fuel pump cannot pump the appropriate fuel pressure, the engine will not get the amount of energy it requires for proper functioning.
Therefore, if the engine is not getting the correct fuel pressure, you will face hesitation of acceleration.
So, if your car is hesitating while accelerating or even when you are driving in an upward direction or over the hill, you should know that you have a weak or a bad fuel pump.
03. Hesitation sensation while accelerating due to poor throttle position sensor
The throttle position sensor conveys to the engine’s computer the extent of the throttle’s opening and pressing on the accelerator.
This helps the engine’s computer adjust the fuel or air mixture accordingly so that the machine is provided with the required fuel. It ensures that the fuel or air mixture is at an appropriate level.
If your vehicle’s throttle position sensor is going bad or is not working correctly, it will most likely start sending incorrect or irrelevant information to the engine’s computer.
Therefore, if the engine is not getting the appropriate amount of air or fuel, it will start hesitating while accelerating.
04. Hesitation due to fault in fuel injectors
Fuel injectors tend to spray fuel in the form of a mist into the cylinder. It is where it is mixed with the air and is ignited by a spark plug.
Usually, these fuel injectors become dirty over time and will not provide the required amount of fuel to the cylinder.
Therefore, in case of dirty or failing fuel injectors, the engine will run lean. This leaning of the engine will cause the vehicle to hesitate while accelerating.
Honda Civic Hesitation During Acceleration Fixing
Below are the solutions to the Honda hesitation during acceleration reasons or problems listed above;
- If you are doubtful that your mass airflow sensor is failing, you can get its wiring checked. Also, make sure to check that the wire harness is not damaged. If necessary, get the mass airflow sensor replaced with a new one.
- In the fuel pump case, you can replace it with a new one if it has failed. You can also replace the fuel tank if it has gotten old.
- For troubling throttle position sensor, you can get its wiring checked to see if it is wired correctly. If not, you can replace it with a new one and also do not forget to clean the throttle body.
- If the fuel injectors are dirty or have failed, you can check for the leakage and dirt in the injectors and get it mixed. Also, replace the fuel filter and even the fuel injectors if required.
Crucial FAQs about the Honda Civic Hesitation
1. Why does my Honda Civic sputter when I accelerate?
Your Honda Civic is sputtering probably because of clogged fuel injectors. Dirty or clogged fuel injectors do not ignite the fuel cleanly.
The results are sputtering or misfiring. The solution to this problem is to get your car’s fuel injectors cleaned or replace them with new ones if necessary.
2. Will your engine light come on if your car hesitates when accelerating?
The engine light usually comes on if you have a failing mass airflow sensor. In this case, your vehicle will have a rough idle, and there will be hesitation in your engine while accelerating.
If your diagnostic trouble codes have proven that the mass airflow sensor is the problem, you can get it fixed or even replace it with a new one.
3. Why does my Honda Civic vibrate?
There can be various reasons behind the vibration of your vehicle. One of the reasons is engine firing issues.
If the vehicle’s spark plug or spark plugs are not firing correctly, it will cause your vehicle to vibrate.
4. How do your fix acceleration hesitation?
Some of the ways that can help you fix the acceleration hesitation of our vehicle include;
- By checking the fuel system
- By checking for vacuum leaks
- By checking for throttle position
- By checking for ignition timing
As mentioned above, the Honda Civic hesitation during acceleration can occur due to various reasons.
If you are experiencing a hesitant engine during acceleration, you should get your vehicle checked to diagnose the root cause.
Once you know the actual reason, you can get it fixed by yourself or by going to a mechanic.
In most cases, you will have to replace the part that is gone failing or wrong, resulting in hesitation during acceleration.